WELCOME

This is a blog of ruminations on how I have in the past, and in the future, intend to help the children of Vietnam

I photographed the sunset above at my family's property on the Fleurieu peninsula in South Australia. On a clear night you can see across to Kangaroo Island.

Friday, November 11, 2011

Jon Bon Jovi once said "map out your future - but do it in pencil."

So, do dreams change? Is the fact I wanted to be a Palaeontologist or Doctor when I was nine and then fainted in our first biology dissection experiment a bad thing?

Does the fact that some people change career paths multiple times in their lives mean they're not successful? What makes someone have so much passion and desire to achieve?

What is success?

I think success is being happy, making other people happy, and living by a set of values and beliefs that you are true to and considerate of others. I think dreams are important to have, but even more important is the ability to clearly think about what you want to do, then having the drive and ambition to achieve it. Of course, the above simplifies things as success is one of those intangible ideals which is different for each individual.

I guess that if someone thinks they themselves ARE successful, then they most certainly are. After all, what they think is all that matters. Perhaps that's what Descartes meant by "I think therefore I am" (although my Philosophy lecturers would shudder to read that).

One of my blind students in Vietnam (Bao, pictured below) once told a radio interviewer that he wanted to be a jet fighter pilot when he grew up. The radio interviewer wasn't sure whether he was joking or not. I told him that it was definitely something to aspire to. Who knows what medical breakthroughs for sight and what technological advances might happen in this boy's lifetime?

If a blind person can drive on the Daytona race track, then anything is possible.



"Success is falling nine times and getting up ten."
Yet another pearler from Jon Bon Jovi
(who would have thought this 80s rock legend would be so sage???!!!??)

No comments:

Post a Comment